Easily recreate blackwater biotopes rich in natural humic substances. Brightwell Aquatics BlackWater Water Conditioner, a special blend of humic and fulvic acid, conditions aquarium water to replicate water chemistry found in blackwater rivers - home to a wide variety of tropical fish favorites including Discus, Angelfish, and Tetras.
Encourages overall natural behavior in blackwater river inhabitants including spawning. Great for use in all planted aquarium as well as blackwater biotope aquariums. 250 ml treats up to 1,000 US gallons.
- Establishes similar water conditions to those found in blackwater rivers, many of which are home to important aquarium fishes and plants.
- May be used to help simulate the onset of the rainy season for encouragement of fish spawning.
- Provides humic substances (humic and fulvic acid), complex bioorganic molecules known to increase the availability of important nutrients (such as iron, calcium, magnesium, molybdenum, copper, manganese, zinc, cobalt, and nickel) to plants, potentially enhancing the effectiveness of plant nutrient solutions in aquaria.
- Formulated utilizing extensive research on aquatic plant nutrient requirements and riverine water chemistry.
Shop all Aquarium Water Conditioners.
Instructions and Guidelines
Chemical filtration media that aggressively absorb organic material (such as macroporous resins) will quickly extract humic substances from aquarium water, which is useful when trying to eliminate these substances but is otherwise to be avoided when dosing this product. Activated carbon has limited effectiveness for this purpose.
Basic: Add 5 ml (1 capful) of BlackWater per 20 US-gallons (75.7 L) of aquarium water once each week; when used in this fashion, 250 ml treats up to 1,000 US-gallons (3,785 L). If desired, dosage may be increased to obtain specific degrees of water coloration and/or increased bioavailability of certain nutrients to plants; see comments regarding spawning below. In general, daily, rather than weekly, dosing is recommended; daily dosing maintains a more stable and natural environment than dosing weekly, in which nutrient concentrations spike just after dosing and then gradually decrease throughout the course of the week. To dose daily, add 6 drops per 20 US-gallons per day; adjust dosing volume after 3 - 5 weeks in accordance with appearance of plants and fishes, and perceived need for nutrients.
As a Spawning Aid: Consult reference materials for the specific spawning requirements of fishes in your aquaria and use this product and the following instructions to your best advantage: over a period of 6 days, increase basic daily dosage to 6 drops per 10 US-gallons (37.9 L) by increasing the number of drops administered by one drop each day (resulting in 6 drops per 10 US-gallons per day on the 6th day). Maintain this dosage (or increase it if desired) until fishes have concluded spawning and eggs have hatched, at which point dosage may be gradually decreased back to basic dosage. Adding BlackWater directly to water being used in water changes, particularly when made on a daily basis, may have the most positive impact; when using this method, add the appropriate amount of BlackWater for the entire system volume for that day. An increase in water temperature and the amount of live foods fed, in conjunction with following the above dosing instructions, will often encourage fishes to spawn. Be aware that an increase in feedings will generate increased waste and the need to remove it from the aquarium via more frequent water changes.
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Humic Acid, Fulvic Acid, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, and Cyanocobalamin.
Humic substances are natural derivatives of organic materials found in soils and, more importantly (for aquarium hobbyists), in many forested streams and rivers. They are collectively comprised of humic and fulvic acids, which are the product of the natural decomposition of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and lignins of plant and/or animal origin. A characteristic of humic substances is their deep brown color, which is responsible for the color of soil.
Soluble humic substances increase the bioavailability of multivalent cations (many of which are important nutrients for plants) to plants considerably by forming temporary bonds with these ions and making their uptake by plants more direct; this increases the effectiveness that water care products containing these ions will have in planted aquaria.
Blackwater rivers are so-called because of the coloration of the water, which ranges from light- to dark-brown (as a result of the presence of humic substances), but is transparent. There are many important blackwater rivers in the Amazon and Orinoco River drainages, as well as throughout forested regions of Southeast Asia, all origins of many families of important aquarium fishes. Blackwater biotope aquaria are therefore desirable when attempting to maintain these fishes.
Gradually increasing the concentration of humic substances in aquaria is an effective method of encouraging spawning in fishes, particularly for Discus, Cardinal Tetras, and other inhabitants of such blackwater rivers as Brazil's Rio Negro. In general, the concentration of humic substances increases substantially during periods of excessive precipitation and/or flooding (e.g. "rainy season"), which is also when fishes in many river systems spawn. The addition of Brightwell Aquatics BlackWater to an aquarium will slightly acidify the water, and will discolor it in direct correlation with the dosage used, the volume of the water in the entire aquarium system, and the method(s) of chemical filtration employed; in general, the greater the dosage employed, the more pronounced the change in water coloration will be. BlackWater will also soften water as a result of the natural chelating action of humic substances. These are all important environmental and/or chemical cues utilized by fishes for the onset of spawning.
About Brightwell Aquatics
The Brightwell Aquatics Commitment: The founding principle of their business.
The goal in operating Brightwell Aquatics is simply to provide the absolute highest quality, scientifically-sound products and customer service of any aquarium water care manufacturer, and to do it all in a straight-forward and honorable fashion. This might seem like a lofty (and refreshing) goal, but considerable time and effort has been invested in this pursuit; this the commitment to you, the Brightwell Aquatics Assurance of Quality and Ethics.
- All Brightwell Aquatics products are formulated based upon the latest information. The goal in formulation is always to utilize the highest purity ingredients in concentrations that provide the most use to the aquarist. Collectively, Brightwell Aquatics is employing their understanding of the marine sciences to create scientifically sound products. These products are formulated to do what they say they do on the label. Even the seemingly tiniest details of how a product is conceptualized and formulated can have a significant impact on aquatic organisms. It is for this reason that Brightwell Aquatics scrutinize every single aspect of every formula to ensure that the overall result will be positive to the system and the inhabitants.
- Brightwell Aquatics offer what might be considered "systems" or "assemblages" of products to cater to all skill levels, and also to all levels of desired water chemistry management, from simple Balling Method-based systems to complex ultra-low nutrient management systems.
- All of Brightwell Aquatics products are manufactured in their own production facility in Alabama. Brightwell Aquatics is 100% privately owned, and founded on strong American principles. Greater than 98% of all raw materials they utilize, as well as the packaging containers that they employ, are manufactured within the U.S., helping to support the U.S. economy.
- With very few exceptions, all raw materials utilized in Brightwell Aquatics products are over 99.9% pure (many are over 99.99% pure). Brightwell Aquatics utilize Food/FCC Grade (Food Chemical Codex; suitable for use in food processing and production), USP Grade (US Pharmacopoeia; suitable for use in the production of pharmaceuticals), ACS Reagent Grade (American Chemical Society; materials are of the highest purity attainable) and assayed materials in all possible instances.
- Brightwell Aquatics batch test every single raw material entering their facility to ensure that it is completely free of phosphate, nitrate, and copper. Materials failing to pass this test are refused and returned to the vendor.
- All water used in Brightwell Aquatics liquid products is filtered through a multi-stage, high-removal rate reverse osmosis and/or deionization purification system, so that the contents of each bottle are as close to what is stated on the label as is possible.
- With one exception (trace elements), Brightwell Aquatics does not, nor will they ever use chelated raw materials in their products. Because the majority of a chelated element is composed of organic material, the use of chelated major elements (such as calcium), in Brightwell Aquatics opinion, should be limited to those elements required in minute quantities in an aquarium. Chelated major, non-conservative elements contribute considerable organic material to an aquarium, rapidly degrading water quality.
- All of Brightwell Aquatics products are created and packaged using equipment that is considered suitable for use in production and processing of food for human consumption. A quick glance at their production facility would reveal a lot of stainless steel and high-density plastics. Brightwell Aquatics maintain a clean production facility and work very hard to ensure that each product leaving their facility lives up to the highest standards of quality.
- Brightwell Aquatics liquid products that target specific elements (such as Calcion, Magnesion, Potassion, Strontion, Iodion, Ferrion, etc.) are formulated to exceed the concentrations provided by competing products. In doing so, a hobbyist is able to adjust the composition of many more gallons of aquarium water with Brightwell Aquatics products per unit volume than is possible with competing products. Because Brightwell Aquatics products are competitively priced, the result is "More bang for your buck".
- Products intended to replicate natural water parameters, such as Replenish and Liquid Reef, are formulated using the most up-to-date data on marine seawater composition. Brightwell Aquatics take their formulation seriously; in many cases, ionic ratios and final elemental concentrations are so exacting to natural water parameters that variations between the two are immeasurable.
- All of Brightwell Aquatics products are lot numbered for quality control and customer service. Brightwell Aquatics pull multiple samples from each batch at the beginning, middle, and end of the packaging process and place them in climate-controlled storage for a period of three years from the date of manufacture. If you should ever have an issue with one of their products, Brightwell Aquatics will ask you to send the remainder of the product for physical and chemical comparison to their samples from that lot.
- An average Guaranteed Analysis and comprehensive list of Ingredients is printed on each product's label. Whenever possible, Brightwell Aquatics list the exact raw material used in the product; they avoid listing such exhaustive information only when details surrounding the formulation are considered a trade secret (which Brightwell Aquatics want to keep concealed from competitors).
- The Instructions and Overview on each product's label explain how best to utilize the product and take the guesswork out of trying to balance aquarium water chemistry. Included is information on creating a stock solution (powdered products only), the increase in target ion concentration that occurs in 1 gallon of water when adding 1 gram or milliliter of the straight product or stock solution, how to determine the rate of ion depletion in an aquarium, and basic information on the importance of maintaining proper concentrations of the target ion or substance in an aquarium. A Technical Background on each label explains important aspects of the product's intended use in a more in depth fashion than is provided in the Overview.
- The usage guidelines of the products are written in plain language, but if you find that you have questions, call Brightwell Aquatics and they'll take all the time necessary to ensure that you understand the nature and usage of the products. Technical support is provided by phone and e-mail during the hours of 8:00-4:30 EST, Monday through Friday.
- Brightwell Aquatics does not, nor will they ever, create and market a product that is in some way misleading to you, our customer and fellow aquarist.
- At all times, Brightwell Aquatics maintain at least 1,000-gallons of gross aquarium capacity for product testing and ongoing maintenance.