Complete 2-part formula streamlines product selection for convenient and complete coral nutrition. Red Sea Reef Energy AB 2-Part Coral Nutrition provides all the energy, amino acids and vitamins needed for healthy coral growth and coloration. Introductory kit simplifies Red Sea's 2-part Reef Energy Coral Nutrition Program* designed to close nutritional gaps for photosynthetic Soft, LPS, and SPS corals and provide complete nutrition for non-photosynthetic corals.
Red Sea Reef Energy AB 2-Part Coral Nutrition includes 100 ml bottles of both Reef Energy A and Reef Energy B.
Red Sea Reef Energy A Coral Nutrition is a unique formulation of carbohydrates, amino acids, fatty acids, and suspended protein flocks available for direct consumption and absorption. This easily digestible and highly nutritious Dissolved Organic Matter complex also stimulates polyp and soft tissue extension, helping corals optimize nutrient consumption by expanding surface area for absorption.
Red Sea Reef Energy B Coral Nutrition is a highly concentrated complex of vitamins and amino acids found to be the limiting factors in the nutritional demands of corals and other invertebrates. All of the components of Reef Energy B come from marine sources and are emulsified in a unique medium that enhances their solubility and absorption of the vitamins and acids by corals.
* Due to undesirable interactions between the various components necessary to meet the complete nutritional requirements of the corals, Red Sea's Reef Energy Coral Nutrition Program nutrition program is divided into 2 complementary products (Reef Energy A and Reef Energy B).
Shop all Aquarium Coral & Invertebrate Foods.
Instructions for Supplementing Corals with Reef Energy
- Treat your aquarium according to the most demanding even if not the most prevalent type of coral.
- The dosing charts are based on treating 100 liters / 25 gallons of water. Estimate your total volume of water (aquarium & sump less volume of live rocks etc) to calculate the correct dosage for your system.
- Always add equal parts of the Reef Energy A & B at every supplementing.
- Reef Energy A & B can be mixed together directly before supplementing. Do not save any unused mixture.
- Turn off the protein skimmer before feeding and leave off for 15 to 30 minutes afterwards. Leave gentle circulation in the aquarium at all times.
- Reef Energy should be added directly to the aquarium.
- For delicate corals (Sun Corals, Goniopora), give a mixture directly to the corals with a pipette.
- If you miss one or more days of using Reef Energy, do not add the amount that you have missed and resume the dosing at the current daily dose.
|Dosing Reef Energy
||Daily Dosage ml / 100 l (25 gal)
|SPS - Accelerated Growth / Mature
|SPS - Enhanced Colors (low nutrients)
The dosage chart is the recommended starting point for dosing based on a well-stocked aquarium. However, the dosage may need to be adjusted to the specific needs of your system.
Always monitor the visual appearance of your corals and check for fluctuations in nitrate and phosphate levels particularly in low nutrient tanks.
Typical signs of overdosing are the development of a grey/brown bio-film on the live rocks and outbreaks of algae.
Signs of under-dosing in a low nutrient system are bleaching of the corals from the base upwards.
The signs of over/under dosing the Reef Energy supplements can also be related to other issues such as too high/low levels of nitrate and phosphate or over/under dosing of Coral Colors elements. Before adjust the dosing of the Reef Energy, make sure that all measurable parameters are at optimal levels.
Reef Energy Complete Coral Nutrition
- Shake well before use.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Most of the corals in reef aquariums are considered to be photosynthetic in that they receive the majority of their energy requirements from their photosynthetic, symbiotic Zooxanthellae algae. In nature, these corals derive approx 85% of their energy from the Zooxanthellae and produce the remaining 15% in their soft tissue by metabolizing nutrients that are available in the surrounding water.
Non-photosynthetic corals (such as Gorgonia, Dendronephthya and Sun Corals) and other filter feeders derive all of their energy from nutrients that are in the surrounding water.
It is therefore essential to provide a balanced mix of the carbohydrates, vitamins, amino & fatty acids to meet the corals energy demands. The amount of coral nutrients required will be dependent on the type of corals stocked. The nutritional requirements of SPS corals in particular are also dependent on the levels of algae nutrients (nitrate & phosphate) in the water. In reduced algae nutrient systems, e.g. when using Red Sea's NO3:PO4-X, the amount of energy the corals receive from the Zooxanthellae is significantly reduced and therefore, higher levels of coral nutrients must be provided to meet the corals energy demands.
Due to undesirable interactions between the various components necessary to meet the complete nutritional requirements of the corals, Red Sea's Reef Energy nutrition program is divided into 2 complementary products.
Reef Energy A is a unique formulation of carbohydrates, amino acids, fatty acids and suspended protein flocks that are available for direct consumption and absorption by the corals. Every component has been proven to be utilized in the metabolic processes of coral protein production and soft tissue regeneration and therefore, does not introduce any unnecessary organic material to the system. Reef Energy A stimulates extension of the polyps and soft tissue helping the coral to optimize nutrient consumption by expanding its surface area for absorption.
Reef Energy B is a highly concentrated complex of Vitamins & Amino acids that were found to be the limiting factors in the nutritional demands of corals and other invertebrates. This complex replenishes the exact vitamins and MAA (marine amino acids) produced by Zooxanthellae. Vitamins are important precursors in the synthesis of chromo proteins while the amino acids are their building blocks. All of the components of Reef Energy B come from marine sources and are emulsified in a unique medium that enhances their solubility and absorption of the vitamins and acids by the corals.
Red Sea Coral Nutrition Program
An organic complex of dissolved & suspended energy sources
Referred to as photosynthetic, most corals have a symbiotic relationship with Zooxanthellae algae, which provide around 85% of their nutritional requirements. The Red Sea Coral Nutrition Program is about providing the remaining 15% to the photosynthetic corals and the complete nutritional requirements for the so-called non-photosynthetic corals such as Gorgonia or Sun Corals that do not have any Zooxanthellae.
Corals can't move towards food or even bring the food to themselves so they digest any Dissolved Organic Matter (DOM) that flows freely into their oral disc (about the size of a pinhead) or gets absorbed through their soft tissue. On the reef, the DOM comes from a wide range of organic sources such as the mucus from neighboring corals or bacterial flocks.
Red Sea's nutrition research focused on isolating the various DOM components from a variety of conventional and non-conventional food sources to create an easily digestible and highly nutritious DOM complex that:
- Provides all of the energy components that Soft, LPS, SPS and non-photosynthetic corals utilize for growth and coloration
- Gives the greatest energetic value after digestion
- Causes the least pollution to the water