Energy-efficient pond aeration kit delivers four seasons of use and savings. TetraPond APK-100 Pond Air Pump Kit operates on just 5-watts of power while providing vital oxygen to pond inhabitants. Energy-efficient air pump boasts silent operation and is a true value with its competitive price point and low operating cost. TetraPond APK-100 Pond Air Pump Kit also offers an energy-efficient winter de-icing solution*. 15-foot power cord.
Tetra Pond APK-100 Pond Air Pump Kit includes APK-100 Air Pump, 30 ft of airline tubing, (2) Airstones, (2) Check Valves, (2) Flow Control Valves, (1) T-Connector and (3) Air Intake Pre-Filter Felt Pads.
|APK-100 Air Pump
*For winter use, the airstones should be placed near the pond surface at the edge of the pond to avoid mixing colder and warmer water layers.
Shop all Pond Aeration Products.
This air pump is designed to be situated outside the pond and must not be submerged.
This pump has two air Outlets that can be used separately or together. If using the two Outlets separately, the two included Airstones can aerate two different areas of the pond. This is recommended for large ponds.
Instructions for Fitting One or Two Air Stones
- a. Using one airstone: Connect the two air Outlets with short lengths of tubing and the T-Connector.
b. Using two airstones: Cut tubing in two pieces and connect each to the air Outlets.
- The Kit includes two Flow Control Valves to regulate the airflow. Cut the flexible tube and place the Flow Control Valve in between the tube near the air pump. To reduce the flow, slowly turn the Flow Control Knob clockwise.
- If the air pump (outside of pond) is positioned below the pond-water surface level, there is a risk that water may flow back by gravity if the air pump is not switched ON or not working due to a power failure. To prevent water from flowing into the air pump and damaging it, the Tetra Pond APK-100 Pond Air Pump Kit includes two Check Valves. Place the Check Valves in between the tube at a point outside the water ensuring that the arrow on the valve is pointing towards the airstone. Please make sure that the Flow Control Valve is always placed between the air pump and Check Valve.
- Attach the Airstone to the tube and place the Airstone and the Air Tube into the pond. TIP: Sometimes it can be difficult to attach the Airstone to the tube. Use hot water to loosen up the tube. Place the Air Pump outside the pond where adequate drainage is guaranteed to prevent water from collecting under the pump. Connect the power plug of the Air Pump to an electrical outlet. After a few hours, the Air Pump will achieve its full power.
- To hide the Air Tube, Tetra recommends either to weight the Air Tube or place it under stones at the bottom of the pond otherwise it may drift to the top due to the air content. CAUTION: Make sure not to pinch the tubing.
Care and Maintenance
This unit does not require lubricating due to its low-maintenance design. NEVER immerse the air pump in water and always disconnect the air pump from the power supply before carrying out any maintenance work on the unit. The power supply cord cannot be replaced. If the cord is damaged, the appliance must be scrapped.
A decrease of air flow may be due to one of the following reasons:
- The unit does not operate. If the unit is not working, then check all fuses and electrical connections.
- Air Inlet is blocked. Check Air Inlet Filter and if the Felt Pad is very dirty, it should be replaced.
- Diaphragm is worn or split. Replace worn or split diaphragm.
- Air tubing is kinked or blocked. Check tube line. If it is brown on the end (close to the pump), cut the end off and reattach it.
Airstones, after a period of time, are prone to blocking, which can increase the amount of back pressure on the pump diaphragm. Due to this, the lifetime of the diaphragm can be reduced significantly. To prevent this from happening, it is recommended that all airstones be replaced on a periodic basis or when airflow is reduced.
Clean the outside of the unit using a damp cloth and a mild detergent. Do not use abrasive or caustic cleaning agents when cleaning the unit.
The pond can also be aerated in the winter to compensate for the lack of plant life. However, the Airstones should be placed near the pond surface at the edge of the pond to avoid mixing colder and warmer water layers with the airflow.
Prevention of Ice Formation
It is important to keep a small area of the pond surface ice-free to enrich the water with oxygen. The aeration on the pond surface will help keep a small part of the pond ice-free.