Economically priced electronic pH meter puts fast, precise pH measurement within your aquarium budget. HM Digital pH HydroTester PH-80 is a great choice for hobbyists looking for a sensibly priced electronic pH tester. Precision device boasts advanced microprocessor technology to ensure exceptional reliability. User-friendly features including multiple parameter measurement, easy-to-read LCD screen, auto-off function, automatic temperature compensation, factory calibration and more keeps high-tech water testing simple!
The PH-80 measures pH and temperature with superior accuracy. Water-resistant pH meter is ideal for measuring pH levels in freshwater or saltwater aquariums. pH measurement range of 0-14 with a 0.1 resolution accurate within +/-0.02. Temperature measurement range of 33-176°F with a resolution of 0.1°F accurate within +/-2%. Includes batteries, electrode storage solution, pH 7.0 buffer and translucent cap.
pH Buffer Packets and
pH Storage Solution available and sold separately.
- Measures pH and Temperature
- One-touch automatic digital calibration
- Simultaneous temperature display
- Sleek, lightweight design
- Large LCD display
- Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Auto-off function, data-hold function and low-battery indicator
- Includes storage solution in a sponge embedded in a translucent cap
- Factory Calibrated: The PH-80 meter is factory calibration to pH 7.0. The meter can easily and quickly be recalibrated with digital calibration to pH 4.0, 7.0 or 10.0 using the meter's simple one-touch process.
- Includes a cap, batteries, storage solution and pH 7.0 buffer
pH Range: 0 - 14
Temperature Range: 1-80 °C; 33-176 °F
Resolution: 0.1 pH; Temperature resolution is 0.1 °C/F
Accuracy: +/- 0.2 pH; Temperature accuracy is +/-2%
Calibration: Digital automatic calibration (one point)
Electrode: Glass sensor and reference tube electrodes
Power source: 3 x 1.5V button cell batteries (model LR44 or equivalent; included)
Dimensions: 6.0 x 1.3 x 0.7 inches
Aquarium Controllers & Monitors.
Directions for use
Before you Start
Your PH-80 sensor must be wetted in the electrode storage solution for at least 15 minutes prior to use. The solution is inside the large Mylar packet (included). Simply pour this solution into the cap so the sponge is moist. Excess solution can be poured out. Insert the meter into the cap and stand upright for 15 minutes.
The smaller Mylar packet contains a 7.0 pH buffer powder to be used for calibration. Mix the contents of the packet with 100ml of distilled water. When stored in sealed container, the solution will last approximately 2-4 weeks.
Taking pH Measurements
- Remove the cap (do not use the cap for testing).
- Click the POWER button. The screen will display 'PH' for a moment. Once 'PH' changes to a number, your meter is ready for measurements.
- Dip the meter's sensor into the water, liquid or solution to be tested.
- Lightly swirl the meter to ensure the removal of air bubbles or electric charges.
- The meter will display a reading almost instantly. Keep the meter in the water until the reading stabilizes (up to 30 seconds depending on the situation).
- To view the reading out of the liquid, click the HOLD button. This will freeze the reading on the screen. Clicking HOLD again will release it.
- Click the POWER button to turn the meter off.
- Shake any excess water off the meter and rinse with low TDS water (such as distilled, RO or DI), or use compressed air to clean it. Put the cap back on.
NOTE: The PH-80 is extremely sensitive in low conductivity water (below 10 µS). If you use the meter in such water, it is better to test in flowing water or swirl the meter continuously while obtaining the reading. The reading will stabilize in 10-15 seconds.
Temperature and Switching Temperature Modes
- The temperature reading is always displayed on the LCD panel (except in calibration mode), and is shown simultaneously with pH readings.
- The default mode for temperature is Celsius. To change the temperature mode, quickly click the TEMP/CAL button to switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit or vice versa.
Proper calibration of your PH-80 is essential for accuracy and performance. Your meter was factory calibrated to pH 7.0 as a convenience for your first few uses. Calibrate your meter to a level that is close to what you will be testing, or in the center of the range. Your PH-80 should be calibrated at least once per month. The PH-80 feature auto-calibration to pH 4.0, 7.0, or 10.0.
- Turn the meter on and insert into a pH buffer solution of 4, 7, or 10. If your meter shows the correct reading, stop here. If not, press and hold the CAL button for 10 seconds. The display will flash and the temperature reading will change to a flashing 'CAL' image.
- Select your desired calibration level (4, 7, or 10) by clicking the UP or DOWN buttons (indicated by the arrows). The measurement will change and a small icon will indicate the value. When the number matches the solution, click RNTER.
- 'CAL' will flash as ' C - CA - CAL' indicating progress. Allow 5-60 seconds, do not press any buttons, and if possible do not move the meter.
- When the meter is calibrated, 'END' will flash and the measurement will reappear.
Changing the Batteries
When the meter displays a flashing battery symbol, your batteries are getting weak and should be replaced soon. To change the batteries:
- Pull out the orange battery compartment using your thumbnail.
- Remove the three batteries.
- Insert new batteries in the directions as depicted inside the compartment. The flat side of the battery is the positive (+) side. The meter uses 357A batteries.
- Close the battery compartment. Make sure it is tightly closed.
If you need to calibrate the PH-80's thermometer, only calibrate it in the air to a different, correct thermometer.
- With the meter OFF and in the air, press and hold the POWER and TEMP buttons at the same time for 2 seconds.
- 'CAL' and the temperature will flash on the screen.
- Using the UP or DOWN buttons (arrows), adjust to the correct temperature.
- Once you have corrected the temperature, click ENTER. 'C - CA - CAL' will flash on the screen and then 'END' will briefly appear. The thermometer is now calibrated.
Care, Maintenance & Tips
- Regular calibration and proper sensor care is essential for good performance.
- Always store the meter with the cap on tight (with the sponge moist). Never touch the glass electrodes and never let nutrient solutions dry on the sensor.
- It is normal for salt deposits from the storage solution to form on the outside or rim of the cap. Simply wipe off with a tissue or rubbing alcohol.
- Clean after each use by rinsing in low TDS water or a pH 7.0 solution. Only add an electrode storage solution to the cap sponge (never store in anything else).
For advance users only: If the meter is used in widely varied pH levels or often calibrated to different points, performance may be affected and you may need to reset to factory defaults. To reset, with the meter on and in the air, press and hold the HOLD button for ten seconds. 'END' will briefly appear. Recalibrate to pH 7.0.