Experience reptile UVB lighting in a brilliant new light. Zoo Med ReptiSun LED UVB Terrarium Hood is an innovative 3-in-1 fixture that delivers exceptional daytime illumination; safe, effective UVB lighting; and beautiful Blue Moonlite lunar effect for nighttime viewing. Groundbreaking fixture achieves this by combining HO (high output) T5 UVB fluorescent lamp and brilliant energy-efficient HO LEDs in a single, ultra-sleek fixture that measures just 8-5/8" x 1" thick!
Zoo Med ReptiSun LED UVB Terrarium Hood features ReptiSun LED Modules comprised of 6500K daylight high output LEDs for truly naturalistic lighting, 620 nm Red LEDs to stimulate live plant growth, and 465 nm Blue LED for a soothing, nighttime lighting. Highly polished curved reflector for ReptiSun UVB Lamp maximizes efficient UVB penetration.
Zoo Med ReptiSun LED UVB Terrarium Hood features three switches for independent control of T5 HO Lamp and LEDs. Adjustable sliding rails accommodate a wide range of terrarium sizes and included stainless steel aircraft cable suspension kit offer alternate hanging option. 6 ft cord.
Zoo Med ReptiSun LED UVB Terrarium Hood is the ideal light fixture for large terrariums, planted terrariums, and herptile habitats housing any species that benefits from UVB exposure and bright, visible light. Includes ReptiSun 5.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Linear Lamp for safe and effective UVB in terrariums up to 18" tall.
For deeper UVB penetration: Optional Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Linear Lamp available for safe and effective UVB in terrariums up to 30" tall. Sold separately.
|# of ReptiSun
*Each ReptiSun LED Module contains four (4) 1 watt 6500K High Output Daylight LEDs, Two (2) 0.5 watt 620nm Red LEDs and one (1) 60 milliwatt 465nm Blue LED.
||12" T5 HO High Output Linear Fluorescent Lamps
||22" T5 HO High Output Linear Fluorescent Lamps
||22" T5 HO High Output Linear Fluorescent Lamps
||34" T5 HO High Output Linear Fluorescent Lamps
||46" T5 HO High Output Linear Fluorescent Lamps
Shop all Reptile Lighting.
- BRILLIANT LIGHT: 6500K daylight high output LEDs for truly naturalistic lighting.
- UVB: ReptiSun 5.0 T5 HO (high-output) lamp included for safe & effective UVB, UVA and bright light for improved color rendering.
- PLANT GROWTH: 620 nm RED LEDs stimulate live plant growth.
- MOON LITE: 465 nm BLUE LED simulates nighttime lighting "Lunar Effect."
- MODULAR DESIGN: Individual LED Modules & quick disconnects allow for easy replacement of LED Modules. Never throw another LED fixture away again!
- DUAL SWITCHES: For independent control of three lighting modes.
- Hang or Set on Terrarium: Adjustable legs and stainless steel suspension kit Included.
- LONG LIFE: 20,000-hour life range!
This appliance has a GROUNDED plug for safety and must be plugged into a grounded receptacle. Do not modify the plug in any way.
Suspension Kit WARNING:
Failure to securely suspend this fixture over a terrarium can result in damage, injury, or electric shock. When suspending this light fixture using the enclosed suspension kit, be sure that the cables are securely attached to hardware that is capable of supporting the weight of the light fixture, if you are unsure about safe hanging methods; contact a qualified licensed contractor to hang this fixture for you. Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc. accepts no liability for damage or injury resulting from improper or unsafe use of the suspension kit.
Zoo Med's ReptiSun LED UVB Terrarium Hood can be installed over your terrarium using one of the following methods:
- Directly on Terrarium Using Sliding Rails: This fixture can be placed directly on top of your terrarium. To install using the adjustable Sliding Rails, adjust the width of the rails to match the width of the terrarium, and securely place the fixture on the upper terrarium frame. Each Sliding Rail should be extended the same amount, and should not be pulled completely from the aluminum housing. Be sure to leave at least 1" of each plastic Sliding Rail in the aluminum housing for adequate support.
- Suspended Over Terrarium Using Suspension Cables: CAUTION: See Suspension Kit Warning Section for important safety information before hanging this light fixture over your terrarium. To hang your fixture above your terrarium using the enclosed stainless steel aircraft cable suspension kit, perform the following steps:
- If installed, remove the four plastic Sliding Rails from the aluminum frame.
- Insert two T-nuts into each slot on the top of the fixture, and then insert the four plastic Plugs into the slots on the plastic End Covers to prevent the T-nuts from sliding out of the frame.
- Check to make sure that the Cable Lock Nut on the Center Fitting is loose to allow the shorter cable to slide freely. This will be tightened later.
- Fully thread the cable Fittings onto the T-nuts. Each cable has two threaded Fittings, which must be installed on one end of the fixture. DO NOT thread both Fittings from one cable onto T-nuts in the same slot.
- With the lamp fixture resting on a flat surface, gently pull up on each center cable and tighten the cable lock nuts on the center fittings.
- Secure the long center cables using appropriate hardware to suspend the fixture (see suspension kit warning above).
LED Operating Instructions:
This lamp fixture has three different lighting modes that are controlled by three switches:
- WHITE LEDs ONLY: 6500K White Daylight LEDs provide bright naturalistic light in your terrarium. Use this mode for terrariums without live plants, including desert habitats and terrariums with artificial plants.
- WHITE & RED LEDs: 6500K White Daylight LEDs with 620nm Red LEDs provide bright naturalistic light in addition to red wavelengths that stimulate plant growth. Use this mode for all terrariums with live plants.
- BLUE MOONLITE LED: Low light 465nm Blue LED simulates "Lunar Effect" and provides for nighttime viewing without disturbing your animals' sleeping patterns (photoperiod). Be sure to turn off White and Red LEDs at night to provide your animals with a proper photoperiod.
ReptiSun T5HO UVB Lamp Operating Instructions:
The ReptiSun T5HO UVB Lamp is controlled by a separate switch and power cord from the LEDs. This lamp fixture includes one ReptiSun 5.0 T5H0 lamp. Please see the application chart below to determine the correct distance from the lamp to your reptile's basking site. NOTE: For taller/larger habitats, the ReptiSun 10.0 T5H0 lamp is optional and may be used instead for deeper UVB penetration.
||Recommended Operating Range
|ReptiSun 5.0 T5H0 UVB Lamp (Included)
||12" to 18"
|ReptiSun 5.0 T5H0 UVB Lamp (Optional)
||18" to 30"
Notes on the Operating Range:
The operating range is the distance from the lamp to the reptile's basking site. When placing UVB lamps over a terrarium, it is important that the lamp is positioned in a way that creates a UVB gradient in the habitat. UVB will be strongest close to the lamp, and will gradually decrease with distance.
This can often be achieved by placing the lamp fixture above the terrarium and off to one end of the habitat. The habitat must be large enough to provide this gradient and allow reptiles to photoregulate (adjust their exposure to UVB as needed).
Always provide a shelter for reptiles to retreat completely from any light and UVB exposure. In order for your reptile to benefit from the UVB, you must provide your reptile with the appropriate temperature zone. Be sure to provide an appropriate temperature and UVB gradient. This will allow your reptile to adjust their distance to heat and UVB lamps in order to regulate their body temperature and UVB exposure.
CAUTION: Always have your lamp at least six inches away from your reptiles, and provide a gradient as described above.
Important Notes on Reptile Behavior:
Watch for abnormal behaviors: It is important to monitor the reptile's behavior following the introduction of a new UVB lamp. If the reptile spends unusually long periods of time basking as close as possible to the UVB and heat lamp(s), then the temperature and/or UVB level may be too low for that species.
If an animal appears to be trying to avoid the UVB lamp, spending most of its time as far from the lamp as possible then the lamp may be too close. Under ideal conditions, reptiles should spend some time basking, and should also move throughout the habitat to perform natural behaviors (feeding, sleeping, etc.).
Why Your Reptiles Need UVB and UVA Lighting:
- UVB: Reptiles need UVB for Vitamin D production and calcium metabolism. Without UVB, reptiles can develop Metabolic Bone Disease in 6 months or less. UVB along with proper temperatures will enable your reptiles to make Vitamin D and process calcium from their diet.
- UVA: Reptiles and amphibians can see things that humans can't. UVA is part of the rainbow of colors that reptiles can see. UVA helps to increase activity levels, appetite, and reproductive behaviors. Without UVA, they are colorblind!
When to Replace Your Lamp:
This lamp will provide your animals with beneficial UVB for a period of 12 months when used 10 to 12 hours per day. Record date of first use on lamp and replace after 12 months.
ReptiSun UVB lamps emit UV radiation and must be used in accordance with these instructions. Just as you would not stare into the sun, do not stare into this lamp! This lamp must be placed directly overhead of your reptiles, and not to the side, which would force them to stare into the lamp. Always have your lamp at least six inches away from your reptiles. Failure to use this lamp according to these instructions may result in personal injury or may cause injury to your reptile(s).
Changing or Replacing the LED Modules:
The LED Modules in your light fixture can be replaced as needed at the end of the LED's useful life.
- Carefully remove one plastic End Cover by extending the Sliding Rails and removing the four screws using a Phillips screwdriver. Gently pull the End Cover away, being careful not to strain the wires.
- Remove the clear Splash Guard by sliding it out of the grooves.
- Carefully pull the Optics off the LED Module that you are removing. Save them for reinstallation on the new Module.
- Disconnect the wires from both ends of the LED Module and remove the four screws and washers holding it in place. Remove the LED Module from the housing.
- Place the new LED Module in the same location and orientation as the original Module. The text on the LED Module should be in the same orientation as the Module that was removed. Reinstall screws.
- Reinstall the Optics on the new LED Module and reassemble by reversing the steps outlined above. If you have questions, please contact Zoo Med's customer service department.