Powerful, feature-loaded external filters take on messy turtle tanks with ease. Fluval 06 Multi-Stage Canister Filters boast improved performance, quiet operation and easier start up for worry-free operation and maintenance. This newest model from a trusted generation of multi-stage canister filters feature advanced motor technology that boosts filter performance. Increased hydraulic performance delivers the power to maintain strong flow rates through customized stages of mechanical, chemical, biological AND fine mechanical filtration. In other words, your herptiles enjoy a cleaner, clearer aquatic environment, whether it's a turtle tank, paludarium or aquatic terrarium.
Fluval 06 Multi-Stage Canister Filters include filter media pre-packed at the recommended positions for quick, basic filter operation. Available in four distinct sizes - each with increasing flow rates and filter capacities to suit any small to mid-sized home or commercial aquatic reptile setup. Includes 1/2" OD ribbed hosing (76986 and 76987 come with 8.5' and 76988 and 76989 come with 9.8').
User-friendly features for extra convenience include:
- Sound-dampening impeller design for quiet operation
- Instant prime system ensures start-up ease
- Aqua-Stop Valves allow convenient disconnect and reconnect of hosing
- Lift-lock clamps for secure closure
- Improved hose lock nuts and rim connector assemblies for secure installation of filter hoses
- Intake strainer with clog-proof, wide-mouth design for steady, rapid siphoning
- Signature interchangeable media baskets for greater flexibility and custom filtration
- "3-Dimensional" Fluval Bio-Foam filter foam boosts mechanical and biological filtration (Not included with the Fluval 106)
*Dimensions are for the canister only, the aquastops add about 3 inches to the height.
Shop all Reptile Filtrations & Pumps.
Quick Start Guide
Unpack and Identify All Parts
Decide on Filter Placement
The Canister Base must never be more than 4.5 ft below the water level.
- Hosing must follow a straight path from the filter to the terrarium rim, with very little slack and no loops.
- The water level should never be more than 7 inches below your terrarium rim.
- The filter must always be positioned below the terrarium.
- Intake Tube should not be positioned in close proximity to an air source.
Place Bottom Half of Rim Connector Assemblies over the Top Edge of the Terrarium
- There is one Rim Connector Assembly for the Intake and one for the Output. Do not place the Intake near an air source.
- Attach Suction Cups to Rim Connectors.
Prepare Intake and Output Connections
Attach Hosing to Intake Connector (IN) on the AquaStop Valve.
Measure and cut Hosing at a point about 4 inches beyond terrarium rim.
Attach Hosing to Intake Assembly.
- Click Suction Cup to Intake Assembly.
- Position top half of the Rim Connector Assembly over the Hosing.
- Repeat above steps to install the Output Nozzle. Note that the Factory Finished End of the Hosing should be attached to the AquaStop Valve.
Prepare the Filter Media
- Remove the Foam Screen, Foam, Media Cover, Baskets and Media from the canister. Note the sequence the Media was packed in. This is the recommended Media placement.
Rinse all with running water to remove dust. Remove Media from poly bags but do not remove the Carbon from the porous bag.
- Place Media in baskets, and the Foam into the Foam Screen Frame. Place baskets and Foam Screen Frame back in filter canister and put cover on top basket.
Carefully fit Gasket into channel around base of Cover.
Position Impeller Cover over Impeller and "Click" into position.
Place cover on canister and lock Lid in place.
DO NOT FILL CANISTER WITH WATER.
Complete Canister Assembly
Starting the Filter
Insert the AquaStop Valve into Intake and Output Connectors on Cover. Push the Locking Lever all the way down to lock in place.
- Open AquaStop Valve by pushing the Top Valve Lever all the way down.
- Check all connections.
- Pump the Instant Prime Handle until water starts to fill the canister.
- When the canister is full, plug in filter.
Recommended Filter Layering for Fluval Advanced Filtration
Lower Level Basket
Media that continues the mechanical capture of small particles should be placed in the lowest media basket, to purify water and/or remove particles before they can clog delicate pores of biological or chemical substrates. The Bio-Foam is ideal to remove small dirt particles that are not retained by the Foam Screen Frame. In addition, this foam provides a large surface to accommodate bacteria colonies, providing an ideal environment for proliferation of beneficial bacteria and increasing the biological actions of Fluval BIOMAX. Recommended Fluval MSF Filter Media:
Mid Level Basket(s)
The Mid Level Basket is a good place to begin the biological reduction process. A lot of media types provide both mechanical filtration and biological treatment, creating an excellent environment for beneficial bacteria to proliferate. With the primary mechanical purification of the water stream occurring in the Foam Screen Frame and the Lower Level Basket, it is typical to load biological media such as BIOMAX into the Mid Level Basket. Recommended Fluval MSF Filter Media:
Upper Level Basket(s)
This basket receives the clearest water, making it the proper place for dedicated chemical media. Placed here, Carbon, for example, efficiently removes discolorations, medications and solubilized wastes that a mechanical screen cannot. To increase the action of chemical filter media and to prevent clogging from micro-particulates, it is suggested to use a Polishing Pad just prior to the chemical media. The fine filtration and chemical media require more frequent maintenance than biological materials and their placement at the top makes it easier to wash and or replace without affecting the biological media. Recommended Fluval MSF Filter Media:
- Fluval Ammonia Remover
- Fluval Peat Granules
- Fluval Zeo-Carb
- Fluval Carbon
- Fluval Peat Fiber
- Filter Floss
- Water Polishing Pad