Metacam® - for reducing inflammation due to joint diseases and muscle injury in dogs
Metacam reduce joint inflammation relief arrthritis pain NSAID oral suspension meloxicam
Metacam helps control pain and inflammation in dogs with arthritis or muscle injuries
- Medication type: Prescription-only, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)
- Active ingredient: Meloxicam
- Dosage form: Oral suspension
- Manufacturer: Boehringer Ingelheim
- Major use: For reducing inflammation and the pain of joint diseases and muscle injuries in dogs.
- How it works: Metacam inhibits the production of prostaglandins, substances that influence pain signals and inflammation. NSAIDs play a critical role in patient comfort by controlling pain and inflammation.
|Metacam® SUCCESS STORY:
Dog's Name: Scooter
Breed: English Springer Spaniel
Age: 11 years
His story: Scooter was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in his left hip when he was 9 years old. His owner had always paid close attention to the dog's diet, maintained a program of appropriate and regular exercise, and she had given a daily supplement of glucosamine/chondroitin since the dog was 2 years old. However, when this formerly energetic and alert dog seemed to tire more easily and was limping on his walks, the owner suspected a medical problem and sought the help of her veterinarian.
Outcome: When Scooter was diagnosed he was placed on Metacam®. Along with the medication, the veterinarian made other recommendations to support Scooter in his fight against osteoarthritis. He suggested a proper weight for the dog and stressed the importance of warm-up and cool-down periods of exercise before and after the daily walk. The owner purchased a few items of pet clothing to help keep the dog's joints warm in cold weather and replaced his worn dog bed with a new, firm orthopedic foam bed. This type of bed distributes Scooter's weight evenly and reduces the pressure on his hips. Another suggestion was gentle massage. The owner uses her fingertips to make small, circular motions around the affected joint and surrounding muscle area. Metacam, along with other helpful measures, restored a good quality of life to Scooter.
For full details on this medication,
download the free patient information sheet.