Make bath time fun & easy!
Does your furry friend detest baths? It's never too late – or too difficult – to teach your dog to enjoy bath time. These 8 simple tips can help you entice your dog to bathe, and eventually make the entire process fun and relaxing for your canine companion.
- If you must coax your dog into the bath tub or sink, use favorite toys and treats. Make the process gradual over several days. Use a lead or tether if necessary. You may only be able to cover a short distance during each session.
- Introduce water slowly and use lukewarm water for optimal comfort. When your dog is comfortable with running water and in the tub or sink, wet just her feet. A hand-held sprayer such as the Rinse Ace 3-Way Pet Sprayer can help. Gradually increase wetting (avoiding her face and head) until she's completely comfortable. This may require several sessions.
- Use the same tub or sink for every bath to prevent scares from unfamiliar surroundings.
- Exercise your dog before her bath to tire her out and make her bath extra refreshing.
- Give high-value treats such as our LiverSnax® freeze-dried treats throughout the bath and with lots of praise.
- Bring water-safe toys into the tub if your dog is toy-motivated.
- Give your dog sure footing – lay a towel or non-slip mat on the tub/sink bottom.
- Offer the same exclusive treat, such as a Giant Bone or Knuckle after EVERY bath. Your dog will quickly associate bathing with the special reward she receives ONLY afterwards.
If your dog remains reluctant to bathe even after your efforts, ask your veterinarian for advice. Explore our wide variety of bathing supplies – towels, tubs, tethers, and much more to help simplify every bath and ensure your dog’s optimal comfort.