Sure, your dog will sleep on the floor. Or in your bed. Or on your rugs. Or on all your living room furniture. Give your best friend a BETTER sleeping spot with her very own bed. Read on and learn more about how your dog can benefit from a bed, as well as what to look for when choosing and sizing a dog bed.
Why does your dog need a dog bed?
Dog beds are a wise investment for many reasons.
- Beds in one or more locations throughout your home prevent your dog from using your expensive furniture.
- Beds prevent your dog from lying on hard surfaces that can aggravate joint problems and cause calluses or sores over bony protrusions (such as the elbow).
- Beds support joint health, which is especially important in older dogs, larger dogs, overweight dogs, dogs with compromised joints, and dogs recovering from surgery. Heated beds add comforting warmth to further soothe tired, uncomfortable joints.
- Beds give your dog cozy slumber spots to call her very own - relaxing retreats whenever she needs them.
What is the typical life expectancy of your beds?
Our dog beds are designed to withstand frequent, demanding use. You'll find our beds to be among the longest-lasting beds on the market. Remember, however, that many variables can affect the lifespan of a dog bed. For example:
- Some dogs use beds more than others.
- Some dogs dig into or trample their beds before laying down.
- Some dogs drag or carry their beds around.
- Some pet parents place the bed outside where the elements can impact bed structure and durability.
Expect our beds to provide your dog with satisfying slumber season after season.
Does my dog need a foam bed or one filled with MiracleLoft® polyfil?
In choosing a bed filling, consider your dog's age, size, physical condition, and lifestyle.
- Foam beds generally benefit larger, older, recuperating, or handicapped dogs, since these mattress-style beds are firm, supportive, and allow easy entry and exit.
- MiracleLoft® polyfilled beds typically benefit younger dogs and dogs who turn in circles or dig into their beds to create a "nest" prior to lying down.
Do baffle beds provide more support than standard polyfilled beds?
Baffles - polyfilled tubes of fabric sewn together that prevent polyfil from shifting and clumping - tend to be firmer and more supportive than non-baffled, polyfilled beds. Our Ultimate Classic Dog Bed is the perfect example. If your pet likes to nest or shift her bed fill prior to sleeping, consider our Deluxe Warm & Cuddly Slumber Ball.
I have an arthritic dog. What bed would you recommend for her?
Your arthritic dog has an enhanced need for comfort; she needs an optimal blend of support and softness. Our Quilted Super Deluxe Bed - with 7 FULL INCHES of firm, yet body-conforming support - offers her the best of all worlds. This popular dog bed nestles our renowned orthopedic foam between layers of our MiracleLoft polyfil AND a quilted cover. The Quilted Super Deluxe Bed is also ideal for large dogs.
Our baffled Ultimate Classic Dog Bed offers a slightly softer, yet thoroughly comfortable option for arthritic dogs.
How should I measure my dog to ensure that I purchase the correct bed size and type?
First, determine how your dog sleeps.
- If she typically sleeps curled up in a ball, we recommend a nest-style or round bed like our Traditional Slumber Nest or Deluxe Warm & Cuddly Slumber Ball. Measure your pet while she's curled up, then add 7 inches to your measurement to determine the proper bed size.
- If your dog typically stretches out while she sleeps, choose a rectangular bed to maximize her comfort. Our Quilted Super Deluxe Bed or Rectangular Ultimate Classic Dog Bed would make ideal choices. To determine the proper bed size, measure your dog while she's fully stretched out, and add 12 inches to your measurement.
The FAQs above should help you best select a bed to ensure your dog's long-term sleeping and lounging comfort and satisfaction. If you require further assistance, feel free to call our friendly, knowledgeable agents at 1-800-826-7206. They're happy to help you choose the perfect bed for your best friend.