If your dog doesn't enjoy being out in the cold, or bad weather postpones outdoor activities, winter can be a trying, tedious season for your best friend.
She may wander or run about the house looking for something to do, sleep more than usual, chew on or drag around inappropriate items, counter surf, bark excessively, or worse. Prevent boredom and related negative behavior with these simple suggestions.
- Play relaxing music when you can't be home with your dog. A bit of background noise can help soothe her.
- Provide interactive toys.
- Hide exciting toys like SqueakAir Balls around your home in areas she frequents. You can also hide a few small treats like our LiverSnax® for truly rewarding searches.
- Provide new toys occasionally, and switch out toys on a regular basis to keep her toy assortment fresh and inviting.
- Play fetch indoors. A long hallway can become a great runway for a dog chasing a favorite ball, plush toy, or flying disc.
- If your dog can look outdoors without becoming stressed or barking excessively, open a window blind or shade just enough for her to see out. Place steps near a window if your dog requires assistance.
- Teach your dog some new tricks. Be sure to reward her with lots of praise and a few small treats.
Most importantly, make time for one-on-one attention every day. Also, see your veterinarian if troubling behavior persists. Your dog will thank you with regular enthusiasm, happiness, and good behavior.