They're still plentiful and are ready to make your pet (and you) miserable
If you think you can forget about fleas and ticks just because the weather is turning cooler, don't. Fleas and ticks remain active all year long, and if you are lax in your treatment and prevention in the fall, you may set yourself up for non-stop parasite problems.
With an attack on two fronts, and a few simple steps, you can help stop fleas and ticks.
Stop flea and tick problems before they start with our wide variety of flea and tick prevention and treatment products, from topicals to collars and sprays. Our recommendations for on-pet prevention and eradication include:
- Drs. Foster & Smith Fiprotrol™ Plus Flea & Tick Control for Dogs; K9 Advantix ® II Flea and Tick Control Treatment for Dogs; Advantage II® topicals and sprays have formulations for dogs and also for cats.
- The Seresto® collar, which also kills ticks, is available in different sizes for both dogs and cats.
In the environment
Help prevent fleas and ticks from invading your home with a multitude of helpful products.
Follow this four-step process to help keep these pests away:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic areas, and weekly throughout the rest of your home.
- Use a fogger, or carpet spray, to kill remaining adults and stop the development of eggs and larvae. We recommend these products from Bayer.
- Wash pet bedding, plush toys, and other accessories weekly.
- Clean and treat pet carriers, your basement, and any other area your pet frequents.
Although there is no guarantee you will not find an occasional flea or tick carried in from the outside, these simple, effective actions can go a long way toward managing fleas and ticks in the fall and all year long.