Treats are a great way to bond with your pet. However, whether offered as a reward or snack, no treat should compromise your dog's health. But not all treats are created equal.
In fact, those made with wholesome ingredients can make a definite difference in your pet's health. Top quality sources of protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are a healthy complement to your dog's diet.
The Power of "NO"
Choose treats designed specifically for your dog's size, health, and chewing habits. Keep in mind, however, that the healthiest dog treats have:
- NO added sugar, corn syrup, or salt
- NO artificial preservatives
- NO artificial flavors
- NO artificial colors
Healthy Ingredients: The Building Blocks of Better Treats
As with healthy dog foods, healthy treats can help keep your dog energetic, happy, and poised for years of faithful companionship. The key is to read and compare labels. Things to look for include:
- Fresh, wholesome protein - strengthen her muscles with real meat or fish.
- Quality carbohydrates - boost her energy with whole barley, potatoes, and rice.
- Quality fiber - encourage bowel health and function with beet pulp, pea powder, and bran.
- Natural fat - keep her energized and her coat and skin healthy with chicken fat and fish oil.
- Natural preservatives - ensure treat freshness with Vitamin E, citric acid, and rosemary.
In addition, look for treats with natural colors and flavors. Unnecessary additives of any kind can compromise both the integrity of the treat and your dog's overall health. If in doubt, contact your veterinarian for advice on which pet treats best suit your pet's individual needs.