Setting up a Skimmer is easy
Protein skimmers are available in a variety of styles and types, so there's a skimmer to fit virtually every aquarium system. Some models are installed internally, while other are considered external, hanging either on the tank or off the filter's sump.
Installing a protein skimmer is easy. Provided below are step-by-step instructions for installing a
Turboflotor 1000 Multi. Assembly for most other skimmers will be very similar. The model we chose includes a pump and all fittings, and we opted to hang this one on the outside of the wet/dry filter's sump, where it is out of sight and doesn't take up any room inside the sump.
Step One: Initial Assembly
Assembly is so easy, cutting the tubing is the hardest part!
The two black boxes on the output allow for any remaining bubbles to dissipate.
- Attach the strainer to the pump's input and place the pump into the filter's sump.
- Slide the black box with screws onto the skimmer outputs and tighten.
- Attach the suction cups to the two screws extending from skimmer base.
- Slide the tubing over the grey barb on skimmer and tighten clamp over tubing and barb.
When working with flexible plastic tubing, soak one end of the tubing in a cup of hot water. This softens the tubing and makes it more pliable so it's easier to slide over barbed fittings.
- Hang skimmer on sump and adjust base screws to create a 5 degree lean towards sump.
- Mark the tubing where it needs to be cut to fit on pump.
- Remove skimmer and cut the tubing.
- Remove pump from sump and attach tubing and clamp.
- Attach airline tubing to the back of the pump, and put the pump and skimmer back into position.
Step Two: Installation
After installing the airline silencer, make sure the sump contains water before proceeding.
- Add the collection cup on skimmer (placing the lid on the top of the cup with the concave side down).
- Add the second black box to the end of the skimmer outputs.
- Add the flow control taps on top the output tubes. (Make sure the holes in the tap face the sump.)
Step Three: Adjusting Flow Rate
Try to place the skimmer's intake on the opposite side of your system's main water pump intake.
- Add the air silencer to the airline tubing.
- Attach it to side of sump.
- Plug in the pump.
- Adjust the flow control taps to bring the water level up to the black ring.
It may take a while for enough pressure to build up to spill foam into the collection cup.