Rabbits love to chew and explore. Not providing adequate means of chewing and exploring creates boredom, and also goes against their very nature and instincts. Most owners are quickly enamored by their rabbit's curious nature, and see it as a way for their pet to acquire mental and physical stimulation, as well as necessary tooth wearing.
Rabbits like to explore many textures and toys at once, and you will need to be careful about the types of toys you provide. Make sure they are made of nontoxic materials because it is likely your rabbit will chew on them. Be certain there are no small pieces that may come loose and become a choking hazard. Also, if you are allowing your rabbit some play time outside the cage, use an exercise pen, and make sure he cannot access electrical cords, heating/cooling vents, wood furniture, or anything else that might be dangerous or off-limits in your home. (Remember, rabbits think those things are just as much fun as toys.)
Every few days, it's a good idea to rotate the toys you allow your rabbit to play with to add more variety. The following are some of the toy options that rabbits love to toss, dig at, explore, or chew, and you may already have some of these items around the house.
Be sure you always supervise your rabbit during playtime so he remains safe. When you offer your rabbit toys, you help alleviate boredom and strengthen the bond you have with your furry friend.
- Untreated wicker baskets, balls, and hampers (no finishes or varnishes) filled with hay or shredded newspaper
- Cardboard (fashioned into tunnels)
- Wooden boxes
- Shapes made of woven grass, such as
balls or mats
- Cardboard rolls from toilet paper or paper towels
- Small plastic/wicker toys (e.g., balls)
- Toys that dispense food
- Toys to toss
- Wooden or natural parrot toys (with no loose or small parts)
- Stainless steel measuring cups or small bowls
- Chew Blox
- Old towels (only if your rabbit does not try to ingest any of the material)
Woven Grass Accessories
WARE Chew Toy Dental Workout Kit
Wicker Mini Munch Balls