C-Skim 1800 Advanced Protein Skimmer
Hard working, very reliable
I have had the Red Sea 1800 for years as the skimmer on a medium size reef tank. It has worked perfectly for going on 4 years. I like the ability to clean the foam tube in between thorough cleanings. I cleaned the bubble pump for the first time this Spring. The only issue is I do not see how it could be used outside of a sump. It leaks like a sieve. If I knew it leaked so bad, I probably would not have bought it. I was planning on using it in the sump anyway, but the option not to use it in a sump is just not there.
May 12, 2014
Red Sea C-Skim 1800
1. Feeder pump is Mag 5 pump with nylon threaded tubing, a threaded ball valve with thread to barb returns, “with” four clamps (each side of ball valve thread to barb, pump female to barb, and skimmer input (use the metal clamps, check and recheck they are secure). Plastic clamps are not suitable for high flow operations.
2. I cleaned skimmer manufacturing process in a bath tub with hot water and a gallon of white vinegar; prior to this I tried Dawn Ultra dish soap. Repeatedly empty skimmer, hose, and pump, empty tub, and run for 30-60 minutes in hot water.
3. Skimmer positioning “has to be” overflow input, skimmer, and then returns. At 11 ½ inches of height a RS300 Reef Octopus sump has 31 gallons of water.
4. I used a 300 Reef Octopus stand at 4 ½ inches up from bottom of sump.
5. I did not obtain consistent results in regard to dry foam production until I put 2nd air intake tube, elbow “with” the plug, and “clear tube” on. Without it I could not maximize flow, air, and skimmer would “overflow” some call over skimming.
6. The elbow on skimmer return requires cap off facing downward, so I turned it slightly 1-2 inches sideways which actually helps downstream effect they discuss in regard to skimmer positioning. The “cap” had to be on for consistent flow as maximum flow and air, no doubts. This included putting on the clear pipe which you eventually want to reduce noise from return and sump water surface.
Read and re-read manual, and then do reflect and implement my points, I had very inconsistent results until I did each step. The instructions I followed, and rechecked, why I referenced was the surprises or conflicts with instructions provided. Most of this I pursued for no other reason than I had to make it work.
Red Sea makes effectively products and a low cost, they look like cast molded skimmers that are effective and professional in appearance. Like the Prizm Deluxe don’t drop it on a cement floor, and read, and re-read the instructions and my points.
I’m using a LX2000s HOB Reef Octopus skimmer to inject Ozone through the silencer, I want perfect conditions, the sump doubled tank capacity and the C-Skim 1800 or a Reef Octopus 6000sss should be suitable to maintain very high quality water even 15-20 minutes after a feeding.
I'll be running dry foam for a few days, I noticed the nuisance algae with no phosphates or nitrates detectable where already starved to death and are skimming out.
It's still overflow on day 5, less frequently, like Reef Octopus skimmers the break in period is annoying, I would not use a large bucket and a hose, your salinity level is going to change drastically with five gallon bucket filled with salt water.
I'm hoping the overflows (over skimming) stops, its not skimming at all, its a useless behavior when device fails. 4-5 days with what I learned is less frequents, Reef Octopus HOB LX200s skimmers did the same thing for a month. You moved the collection cup up, no skimmer, move it down overflows, running HOB "with" a sump (automatic tap off) actually works very well.
May 12, 2014
tired of fixing micro bubble pump
seems I always have to be taking it apart at least once a month. sometimes two times. it stops producing air bubbles more often then other skimmers. so i need to take air bubbler pump apart to get it going again. seems its a on going problem. its a big deal to me because of space I have to work with. in order to fix it I have to remove the hole skimmer to get to air bubbler pump. when it works right it works great lots of skimming. if I had another chance to buy another skimmer it wont be this one. as soon as I can i will replace it.
January 9, 2014