Poisonous Plant Safety
Drs. Foster & Smith Educational Staff

With the hustle and bustle of the season, we pet owners may not be as observant as we'd like. Cats and dogs can be very curious and some love to chew greenery. But knowing what types of flora may cause your pet to become ill, and preventing contact with them, may save you a frantic trip to the veterinarian's office. Also, we recommend you post the telephone number of your area poison control center (or the national hotline) by the phone.

The following is by no means a complete list, but comprises some of the most common indoor plants that could cause problems:

  • Aloe Vera
  • Amaryllis
  • Asparagus Fern
  • Azalea
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Boston Ivy
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Daffodil
  • Dieffenbachia (all)
  • Elephant Ear
  • English Ivy
  • Ferns
  • Fig, Creeping & Weeping
  • Lily, Calla and Peace
  • Mistletoe
  • Mother-in-Law's Tongue
    (Snake Plant)
  • Philodendron (all)
  • Poinsettia
  • Rubber Plant
  • Schefflera
  • Silver Pothos
  • Umbrella Plant

The signs of toxicity may range from mild rashes on the skin or mouth to more severe signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, staggering, collapse, tremors, heart, kidney or respiratory problems. If your pet ingests or chews on any part of a plant, call you veterinarian immediately. If your veterinarian is not available, contact the poison control center. Delaying treatment can have serious and dire consequences for your pet.

  
Related Articles: