For full details on this medication,
download the free patient information sheet.
- Medication type: Prescription-only antibiotic of the tetracycline class.
- Active ingredient: Doxycycline
- Dosage form: Oral suspension or capsule; generic form available in tablet form.
- Manufacturer of Brand Name: Pfizer
- Major use: Vibramycin (Doxycycline) is prescribed by veterinarians as an extra-label drug (not officially approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in veterinary medicine.) Vibramycin is often used for infections caused by bacteria and other microorganisms that are not susceptible to common antibiotics. Doxycycline can be used for bacterial infections such as: urinary infections, blood-borne infections, or contaminated wounds. It is the antibiotic of choice for Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Anaplasmosis.
- How it works: Vibramycin inhibits protein synthesis in bacteria, rickettsia, and other susceptible organisms, killing them.