Dogs can only rid their body of heat while panting. They do not have sweat glands - as humans do - except for a few on their feet. Panting alone is not enough when the temperature soars.
We have a few recommendations for you and your family to help your dog have a happy and healthy summer:
Fortunately, many pet product manufacturers know how difficult it can be to keep a pet cool in summer and now make products to help pet owners.
- Make sure you provide plenty of water. For an outside dog, an
automatic dog waterer or a Handi-Drink Pet Water Bottle is the perfect way to provide clean fresh water.
- Never leave your dog in the car - even for a few minutes - in the heat. Just a few short minutes in these conditions can lead to irreversible organ damage or death.
- Keep your pet from the damaging rays of the sun. If you have a white, or lighter colored dog, areas of the body (tops of ears and nose) can
sunburn. Applying a pet specific sunscreen may help prevent sunburn.
- Watch out for heatstroke. If you do vigorous exercise with your dog, make sure you exercise in the cooler hours of the morning or evening.
- Better yet, go swimming with your dog! Play fetch with the many water toys, such as
Floatable Disc. This way both of you can keep cool!
- If your pet is outside during the day, consider investing in a
Cooling Bed or Gel Pet Mats.
- For an extra-special summer treat, give your pooch a Arctic Freeze Chew Toy right out of the freezer.
Handi-Drink Pet Water Bottles
K&H Cool Beds
Arctic Freeze Chew Toys