- The life span of gerbils is 2-3 years.
- Gerbils, although nocturnal (most active at night) actually go through several cycles of activity each night.
- Gerbils need a nest box to feel secure
- Frequent, gentle handling should keep your gerbil tame.
- Gerbils love sunflower seeds.
- Gerbils, being social animals, live best in pairs; keeping two same-sex littermates is the best situation.
- "Thumping" is an interesting gerbil behavior. The gerbil will pound both hind legs on the ground when he is excited or stressed.
- Young gerbils tend to thump even when not stressed.
- If you have multiple gerbils, they will all join in on thumping behavior.
- When a gerbil rubs his stomach on cage accessories, he is marking his territory.
- The common pet gerbil originated in Mongolia.