- Mice have been domesticated for hundreds of years. The National Mouse Club of Britain was formed in 1895.
- Mice are nocturnal animals and are more active at night than during the day.
- Rats are extremely clean pets and are among the most intelligent.
- Ancient Romans considered the rat good luck, and in China, the rat is considered a sign of prosperity.
- A rat's sense of balance is very acute.
- Rats can swim and many enjoy it.
Did you know?
One of the most frequently asked questions regarding a new pet mouse or rat is undoubtedly, "Is it a boy or a girl?" Determining the sex of mice or rats is relatively easy by examining the distance between the anus and the urinary/genital opening. This distance is shorter in females and females have nipples that are noticeable by 10 days of age. Careful examination must be made with older females since the nipples are covered with fur and they can be easily mistaken for males. The anus and the urinary/genital opening in males are located farther apart and males do not have nipples. Also, the testicles of adult males can be felt at the base of the tail.
If you plan to keep a pair or more of mice or rats, it may be helpful to be able to differentiate between a male and a female especially if you don't intend to raise a litter of babies.