My duck soup recipe:
|These chicken gravy and duck soup recipes have been submitted by ferret owners like you. They are not endorsed by Doctors Foster and Smith. If your ferret is ill or you have any questions or health concerns about your ferret, please seek medical attention. In addition, always consult your veterinarian before giving your ferret a new food.
- 1 lb. of chicken thighs or leg quarters with skin
- 1/2 cup main kibble (the less kibble the better)
- 1 tablespoon FerreTone
- 3 tablespoons Nupro (supplement for digestion - can be made without it)
- 1 tablespoon Uncle Jim's Duk Soup Mix (supplement for digestion - can be made without it)
**Note: the most important part of duck soup is the chicken. So even if your recipe is only chicken and kibble it's still great! Mine is just more comprehensive.
- Grind up kibble (add Nupro and Uncle Jim's) in blender or food processor and put in large bowl. Boil the chicken thighs or leg quarters for 20 minutes. Cut the meat and skin off the bone and put the small pieces into your blender or food processor in small sections (add about a 1/2 cup to a cup of cool water with each blending). Put all the blendings into a large bowl and stir. Add all other ingredients into the bowl.
- Add water for soupy consistency, so it's not clumpy. And it should have a creamy, smooth consistency. Pour into ice cube trays. Repeat until finished. Freeze one day in the ice cube trays and then transfer cubes into a freezer safe bag. Frozen duck soup cubes should be good in freezer up to 3 months.
One defrosted ice cube of soup is the perfect serving for one ferret.
Your ferrets may not think you are a good cook the first time you offer it to them, they imprint on food at a young age. If your ferret wont take duck soup directly out of the bowl here are a few things you can try.
Try offering some on your finger. A lot of ferrets love to be hand-fed and this might work. If not, scruff your ferret and then dip your finger into the soup and gently rub it on his/her lips. Do this a few times (in one sitting is fine) until they will lick it from your finger willingly. The two main things that you need to remember are: be patient and persistent.
Back to the main page.