- Medication type: Prescription-only oxidase inhibitor
- Active ingredient: Selegiline
- Dosage form: Daily tablet
- Manufacturer: Pfizer
- Generic Form: Selegiline
- Major use: For the treatment of the agerelated neurological condition in dogs known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD).
- How it works: By increasing the amount of dopamine in the dog's brain, nerve impulse transmissions are improved, resulting in better cognitive function.
|Anipryl® SUCCESS STORY:
Dog's Name: Cassidy
Breed: German Shepherd
Age: 10 years
Her story: Cassidy, once a savvy German Shepherd, began to show signs of confusion and disorientation, and she was having frequent "accidents" in the house. These symptoms were atypical, so her owner scheduled an appointment for a checkup. The veterinarian conducted a thorough physical and neurological exam. After ruling out other possible causes for the changes observed in the dog, a diagnosis of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction was made.
Outcome: While there is no cure for this age-related deterioration in the brain, a daily dose of Anipryl® can be highly effective in curbing and managing the symptoms of CCD. Cassidy responded well to the medication. Her owner also implemented a program that included appropriate and regular exercise, mentally stimulating interactive play, and a diet high in antioxidants. Cassidy's world can never be the same, but restoring some degree of quality to her life was well worth the effort and expense.
For full details on this medication,
download the free patient information sheet.