- Medication type: Prescription-only combination appetite suppressant and fat absorber.
- Active ingredient: Dirlotapide
- Dosage form: Oral Solution
- Manufacturer: Pfizer
- Generic form: None
- Major use: To help obese dogs lose weight in conjunction with a diet and exercise program.
- How it works: SlentrolTM works two ways: it works inside the small intestine to block some of the fat the dog ingests from being absorbed into the bloodstream. Although not completely understood, it also works to make the dog feel satiated, so he will eat less at each meal. Less food consumed at meals means fewer calories taken in, and this, along with regular exercise, leads to weight loss. The dosage of this drug is adjusted each month as the animal loses weight, so the use of SlentrolTM must be monitored by a veterinarian.
|SlentrolTM SUCCESS STORY:
Dog's Name: Emma
Breed: Basset Hound
Age: 6 years
Her story: Emma had always been a big Basset Hound, and her veterinarian told her owner that the dog needed to lose weight. It wasn't until Emma was having trouble getting up on the couch to snuggle, however, that her owner took the situation seriously. She had Emma on a premium diet and she tried to give her less food, but the dog always looked up at her with mournful eyes, so she always gave in. Her veterinarian told her she must get serious about Emma's weight, and suggested a new medication called
SlentrolTM along with a reasonable exercise program, and no table scraps.
Outcome: Emma was on SlentrolTM for 6 months and lost about 10% of her body weight. She and her owner walked twice daily - first shorter walks, and then longer distances as Emma got into better shape. She no longer gets table scraps and she is eating less at each meal. Her quality of life definitely improved. The bonus was that not only did Emma get in shape, but her owner is happier and healthier, too.
For full details on this medication,
download the free patient information sheet.