- Medication type: Prescription treatment for urinary incontinence (urine leakage).
- Active ingredient: Phenylpropanolamine
- Dosage form: 25mg-, 50mg-, and 75mg-chewable tablets or a 2-oz bottle of 25mg/ml oral drops.
- Manufacturer: PRN Pharmacal (Proin), VPL (Cystolamine)
- Major use: This medication is generally prescribed for dogs that "dribble" on their beds or other places in the house due to incontinence. It helps eliminate the frustration of dealing with this messy, annoying situation in your home.
- How it works: Phenylpropanolamine increases urethral tone (tightens the bladder sphincter muscle), which controls the opening to the bladder. By increasing urethral tone, the opportunity for urine leakage is greatly reduced. This is especially helpful in female dogs.
Proin works gradually - several days of proper dosing should show a positive effect. While dosages vary, any prescribed dose must be given regularly; missed doses may cause relapses. Long-term use is generally required.
Proin should be used with caution on dogs with conditions such as cardiac disease, high blood pressure, glaucoma, or diabetes. Possible side effects include restlessness, increased heart rate, irritability, hypertension, or difficulty urinating. Consult your veterinarian for additional details on phenylpropanolamine.